Biking in Ballyhoura
Ballyhoura is situated at the crossroads of Muster, on the borders of County Tipperary, County Limerick and County Cork. An area with beautiful green pastures, hills, woodlands and mountains. Here you will find the Ballyhoura Mountain Trails. The largest trail network in Ireland.
The Mountain trail includes forest road climbs, twisty singletrack, boardwalk, tight turns and technical rocky bits for the thrill-seekers.
Ballyhoura provides a full range of visitor facilities at the trailhead which includes a secure car parking with monitored CCTV cameras, map boards, bike wash facilities, toilets & showers. Trail accommodation and good food are also available as well as snacks with tea/coffee at a reasonable price.
The trails are laid out in 5 loops and each loop leads onto the next. The loops are waymarked in one direction - just pick the colour of the loop you want to ride and follow the arrows.
• The Green/Greenwood Loop (6kms, 45 mins, moderate) is a good introduction to the MTB trails.
• The Brown/Mountrussell Loop (17kms, 2 hours, difficult) is some technical features on it with more climbing and descending.
• The White/Garrane Loop (35kms, 4 hours, difficult) is a lot more challenging in terms of distance with sections of tight turns, steep descents and features such as small rock steps, exposed roots and elevated timber boardwalks.
• The Blue/Streamhill Loop (41km, 5 hrs, severe) is challenging in terms of distance but will take you to the remoter parts of the forest.
• Finally, there is the Red/Castlepook Loop (51km, 4-6 hours, severe) that is the ultimate loop of the Ballyhoura trails,
being the longest and most demanding. It goes right to the southern fringes of the forest and presents you with
the biggest climbs and most rewarding descents.
Download the Mountain Bike Trail Map Here >